What is wrong with people??

I had a life changing experience yesterday of the pretty awful kind.

We pit stopped at a rural gas station in Louisiana and there was a seriously injured possum near where I parked, and a cop who had pulled up to the pump next to mine. I backed away from the possum and pointed at it so the cop saw what was up. He aimed his gun at it while I got in the car to move to another pump. At the time, I wondered if discharging a weapon near a gas pump might be dangerous and I hoped he wouldn't need to use it. I also didn't look that way just in case he did end up shooting it. The possum never moved, he was jacked up like maybe got hit by a car and was terrified...you could see it in his eyes. I know from experience they can be immobile for hours when they're scared, so I wasn't too stressed but was watchful.

Meanwhile, my traveling companion went inside the store and the clerk called animal control. The cop went inside the store and we all shopped and whatever before heading back out to our cars. The cop went outside first and we came shortly after.

We're walking to the car watching the possum to see if it had moved...when the top of his head exploded because the cop chose that exact moment to shoot it. I will never unsee that, and I'm crying as I relive it right now. My friend came completely unglued and started yelling at the cop about "What is wrong with you?" and "Why would you do that?" We quickly got in the car and couldn't get away from there fast enough.

I cried off and on the rest of the trip home and my friend is so angry she couldn't calm down for hours afterward. She is planning to make complaints, and I'm curious to see what comes from that. Am I wrong in thinking discharging a firearm next to a gas pump is dangerous? The possum was next to the pump at the end of the raised concrete platform it sits on, and that seems pretty close to shoot at. Regardless, what kind of person would do that in front of two civilians at the exact moment they're looking? It's like he waited until we got to see it or something.

As if I wasn't damaged enough. Thanks a lot, asshole. :'-(

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Final Xmas post

RIP Charlie "Butch" Sours, I miss your cranky ass. :'-(

Drawing healthy boundaries